Friday, August 5, 2011

The Time is Now: I'm Starting a Publishing Company

The first post is always the hardest, so I’ll keep this one short and rather vague.

I’ve had some time lately to think about what I really want to do with the rest of my life. I’ve spent the last few years working and going to school. Less than two years ago, I was working 70 hour weeks and taking 18 credits at the same time. I think that I just recovered from that last week.
I had two dreams when I was a child: to be a published author and to be a publisher of books. The high overhead of traditional print publishing kept me from the latter, and my issues with associating myself with my work kept me from the former.

I think those barriers are starting to melt away.

The low overhead of ePublishing, combined with the knowledge that I’ve gained while completing my business degree and my long history with eBook formatting, has made me realize that I can finally start a publishing company. I’ll post more information about the company once I get the business plan finished and all the other paperwork in place.

I will also be self-publishing some fiction and non-fiction books through my company, but that isn’t its main purpose. I still need to work on dealing with some of my social anxiety issues related to publication. I’ll keep you posted on my writing progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment